Knife Holder    11                    1-2016

Here is what it looks like after sanding the handles flat. Everything came out fine, it just took awhile. Now if you're wondering why I'm using this old sanding block....well it's because I bought it in 1976 while building my 71 Camaro. Yes I've really owned it that long!! Come to find out It doesn't work that great anymore but I just couldn't throw it away. However, after using it on this project I really could use a new one because it's worn out.
 

 

 

After sanding both handles flat I was ready to rough sand the perimeter using my belt sander. If you look close you'll see I've sanded the left side so the tang and handle are flush. I do a small section at a time (1/2" to 3/4") which works well with an 80 grit sanding belt. After rough sanding, I switched to a 180 belt to finish sand with, for the belt sander that is.
 

 

 

Here I've hand sanded the perimeter with 220 grit paper wrapped around a sanding block (made out of scrap wood) so all the lines now run with the tang of the blade. I'm going to put a radius around the perimeter so it has a nice feel to it.
 

 

 

This router table wasn't in the plan for this but it sure worked good and was really fast too. I tried a scrap piece first and it came out just fine because I wasn't sure how this material would react with this type of cutter. I took two pass's on each knife with the 3/16" round over bit and it worked great (notice I said 'round over' here...I'm learning).
 

 

 

This only took about one or two minutes and what a difference it made. Now it's time to do some sanding...lots and lots of sanding.
 

 

 

The Larger Knives
 

I wanted to show you a few more details that I didn't cover with the first ones here. Plus I made a couple of changes that worked really well. Now I won't bore you with everything I did here because I've covered that earlier but let's check out some of the things I did on the larger knives.

The first change was the use of a jig-saw. I didn't think about it at first but then noticed I had a fine blade for it so I tried it and it worked great. That saved me a little time and it just feels good to use some kind of power too.
 

 

 

Another change was to the ends of the handles: using my router table made quick work of them which is what I should have done the with the others.
 

 

 

Same deal here, drill one and then place a rivet in the hole. Now it may look like I'm clamping the handle in my vise, but I'm not. This makes it easier to follow the existing hole when they can float a small amount in place of being clamped solid. I did this for the smaller ones but didn't mention it.
 

 

 

The same fixture that I made here but a different size counterbore to accommodate the larger rivets.
 

 

 

Here is how I applied the epoxy. I used the wooden stick to pickup the glue from my workbench and then smeared it over the tang of the knife. I was careful not to put too much towards the front because this area is hard to clean once the glue sets up after squeeze out. And yes I put more epoxy at the end of the tang before putting the handles on.
 

 

 

I put both handles on the tang and placed two rivets (the hollow ones) in the outer holes which helps keep everything aligned. I put the solid rivet into the other side and then squeezed it with my vise. Leaving the rivet head just above the surface this time made it easy to tell if they were all the way down.
 

 

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14